I am thrilled to welcome you to the website of the Organization of Women in International Trade (OWIT) and encourage you to join us and volunteer. Below is background information about OWIT and our mission, OWIT chapters around the globe, information on how to join us and volunteer opportunities, a helpful guide to using our website, and a little bit about me!
OWIT was established in 1989 and is a global association for women in international trade and business. Our 2,000-plus members impact hundreds of millions of dollars in trade and business transactions annually. OWIT’s focus is on adding value to our corporate, mid-sized, small business and individual members around the world. OWIT serves as the unifying body of a network of chapters spanning the globe in the Americas, Western Europe, and Africa. OWIT also supports a “Virtual Chapter” for individuals involved in international trade and business who do not have access to a local OWIT chapter where they reside or work. Membership in a local or the Virtual Chapter gives automatic access to the OWIT International network.
The primary mission of OWIT is to support the advancement of women in international trade and business. To successfully accomplish this mission, we welcome men (that support the advancement of women in international trade) and women from around the world. We facilitate relationship-building through our growing network of members, provide educational and professional development programs, and partner with organizations that share our mission. Please explore this website, where you can learn about our story and our program offerings. We encourage you to join us and volunteer!
Did you know we have OWIT chapters in:
Arkansas – Brussels – Charleston – Dominican Republic – Lake Geneva – Los Angeles – Mexico City – Monterrey – Nairobi – New Jersey – New York City – Nigeria – Northern California – Orange County – Ottawa – Peru – South Florida – St. Louis – Tampa Bay – Toronto – United Kingdom – Virtual – Washington DC – Zimbabwe
You can become a member of OWIT by joining an existing local chapter, our virtual chapter, or by starting your own chapter. To learn more, please explore the “join us” tab on the website.
Volunteer with OWIT
OWIT International needs you! We have 9 amazing committees that seek volunteers. If you are interested (or want help deciding which is the right committee for you), please contact OWIT President, Frida Owinga at firstname.lastname@example.org or the committee chairs directly below.
- Chapter Development: Are you interested in helping grow the OWIT network around the world? If so, this is the committee for you, contact email@example.com to assist!
- Chapter Support: Are you interested in helping OWIT chapters learn the benefits of the OWIT network? If so, this is the committee for you, contact VP-ChapterSupport@owit.org to assist!
- Conference: Are you interested in helping with OWIT’s conference to ensure it is a success, with amazing speakers from all over the world, and all members of OWIT around the world attend? If so, this is the committee for you, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to assist!
- Marketing: Are you interested in helping with OWIT’s newsletters and press releases? If so, this is the committee for you, contact VP-Marketing@owit.org to assist!
- Partnership: Are you interested in working with OWIT’s premier partners to increase the profile of OWIT around the world? If so, this is the committee for you, contact VP-Partnerships@owit.org to assist!
- Programming: Are you interested in helping with OWIT’s webinars? If so, this is the committee for you, contact email@example.com to assist!
- Social Media: Are you interested in helping with keeping OWIT’s social media active and up to date? If so, this is the committee for you, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to assist!
- Sponsorship: Are you interested in helping raise funds for this much-deserved organization via our small business sponsorship, corporate sponsorship, webinar sponsorship, and conference sponsorship? If so, this is the committee for you, contact email@example.com to assist!
- Virtual: Are you interested in helping ensure OWIT’s virtual members who don’t have a chapter near them feel included within the OWIT network? If so, this is the committee for you, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to assist!
About OWIT’s President
Born and raised in Nairobi, Kenya, I have had the privilege of living in the U.S. and working with organizations in the UK, Japan, Australia and other parts of Africa. As a certified life-and-work coach, I have worked with business owners across various sectors for over 20 years, supporting them in different capacities but with the singular objective of building organizations that foster quality, sustainable work with the goal of alleviating poverty.
After studying Organization Leadership and Management at Regent University, I furthered my business education by pursing Kaufmann Foundation’s Small Business Management training and Goldman Sachs’ 10KSB Women Entrepreneurship program. In 2009, I joined OWIT, serving in various capacities before becoming President of OWIT Nairobi in 2017 and V-P Chapter Development in 2019-20, during which time I supported the setup of OWIT Nigeria, St. Louis, Dominican Republic and Zimbabwe.
OWIT has helped me grow professionally. I have enjoyed serving with people from around the world to achieve our mission of being united globally to foster international trade and the advancement of women in business.